Australian Songwriter Geoff Mack, 94
Ken Whiton
2017-08-04 08:23:09 UTC
Quoted from a country music newsletter forwarded to me by a
friend.

----- Begin Quote -----
Geoff Mack, best known for writing "I've Been Everywhere," died July
21 in Australia at age 94. He was born Albert Geoffrey McElhinney in
Melbourne, Australia, in 1922. While stationed in Borneo with the RAAF
during World War II, he began entertaining the troops. After the war,
he served as a radio announcer for the British occupation in Japan. He
wrote "I've Been Everywhere" in 1959. With the Australian town names
replaced by American ones, Hank Snow brought the song to No. 1 in
1962. According to Taste of Country, the song has been recorded more
than 130 times since then, most famously by Johnny Cash and Lynn
Anderson. Mack was inducted into the International Songwriters Hall of
Fame in Nashville in 1963.
----- End Quote -----

Hank Snow's 1962 #1 country recording of "I've Been Everywhere" also
reached #68 on the Billboard Pop Chart, making this post on topic for
both these groups.

Lucky Starr's original

Hank Snow's version

Ken Whiton
--
FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: ***@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)
Roger Ford
2017-08-04 10:12:11 UTC
On Fri, 04 Aug 2017 04:23:09 -0400, Ken Whiton
Post by Ken Whiton
[...]
http://youtu.be/mvBpLbNik_U
Hank Snow's version
http://youtu.be/nwPDETH2Bn8
In the interests of greater completion worth mentioning that Lucky
Starr also recorded a modified version for the US market......

......and also the UK market........

......and for his "next door neighbours" in New Zealand

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
Ken Whiton
2017-08-06 09:07:04 UTC
*-* On Fri, 04 Aug 2017, at 10:12:11 GMT,
*-* In Article <***@news.virginmedia.com>,
*-* Roger Ford wrote
*-* About Re: Australian Songwriter Geoff Mack, 94
Post by Ken Whiton
Quoted from a country music newsletter forwarded to me by a
friend.
----- Begin Quote -----
Geoff Mack, best known for writing "I've Been Everywhere," died
July 21 in Australia at age 94.
[ ... ]
Post by Roger Ford
Post by Ken Whiton
----- End Quote -----
[ ... ]
Post by Roger Ford
Post by Ken Whiton
Lucky Starr's original
http://youtu.be/mvBpLbNik_U
[ ... ]
Post by Roger Ford
In the interests of greater completion worth mentioning that Lucky
Starr also recorded a modified version for the US market......
http://youtu.be/88dAsBXUgFM
......and also the UK market........
http://youtu.be/700glKoiH-U
......and for his "next door neighbours" in New Zealand
http://youtu.be/t_IEAtRHJ8I
Also, in addition to each version being released in its
corresponding country, Lucky's four versions were released together on
an EP in Australia.

<http://www.45cat.com/record/fx10485>

Ken Whiton
j***@netscape.net
2017-08-04 15:22:11 UTC
Post by Ken Whiton
Quoted from a country music newsletter forwarded to me by a
friend.
----- Begin Quote -----
Geoff Mack, best known for writing "I've Been Everywhere," died July
21 in Australia at age 94. He was born Albert Geoffrey McElhinney in
Melbourne, Australia, in 1922. While stationed in Borneo with the RAAF
during World War II, he began entertaining the troops. After the war,
he served as a radio announcer for the British occupation in Japan. He
wrote "I've Been Everywhere" in 1959. With the Australian town names
replaced by American ones, Hank Snow brought the song to No. 1 in
1962. According to Taste of Country, the song has been recorded more
than 130 times since then, most famously by Johnny Cash and Lynn
Anderson. Mack was inducted into the International Songwriters Hall of
Fame in Nashville in 1963.
Nashville? Rock-Pop-R&B-CW?

Oh, I see, you made a mistake a posted to the wrong group!!!

Not a problem!!

Uni :-)