Ping - Tim
j***@netscape.net
2017-06-28 18:47:38 UTC
WTF is a Ping?!

Uni :-)
Tim
2017-07-07 18:54:12 UTC
Post by j***@netscape.net
WTF is a Ping?!
Uni :-)
I'm thinkin' it's just gotta be related the first syllable of Forrest Gump's favorite paddle game?! :)
Michael Black
2017-07-07 20:00:06 UTC
Post by Tim
Post by j***@netscape.net
WTF is a Ping?!
Uni :-)
I'm thinkin' it's just gotta be related the first syllable of Forrest Gump's favorite paddle game?! :)
It's a command to test the response of the pathway between two points on
a network.

I have no idea how or when it got garbled into this. If one wants to
contact someone, that's what email is for, don't broadcast a private
message.

Michael
j***@netscape.net

Uni :-)
Tim
Where the hell was I when Usenet issued this edict?
j***@netscape.net

Uni - Drug Free Zone :-)
Tim
2017-07-08 01:20:34 UTC
Post by j***@netscape.net
Post by Tim
Post by Michael Black
Post by Tim
Post by j***@netscape.net
WTF is a Ping?!
Uni :-)
I'm thinkin' it's just gotta be related the first syllable of Forrest Gump's favorite paddle game?! :)
It's a command to test the response of the pathway between two points on
a network.
I have no idea how or when it got garbled into this. If one wants to
contact someone, that's what email is for, don't broadcast a private
message.
Michael
Where the hell was I when Usenet issued this edict?
Doing heroine?
Nah - probably just day dreaming that I was.
Post by j***@netscape.net
Uni - Drug Free Zone :-)
Must have been court ordered. :)
j***@netscape.net
2017-07-07 22:34:04 UTC
Post by Tim
Post by j***@netscape.net
WTF is a Ping?!
Uni :-)
I'm thinkin' it's just gotta be related the first syllable of Forrest Gump's favorite paddle game?! :)
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh!! Ping Pong with only one player!!!

Uni :-)
Tim
Momma always said: Stupid is as Uni does.
Jim Colegrove
2017-07-07 20:53:43 UTC
Post by j***@netscape.net
WTF is a Ping?!
Uni :-)
An acronym for '"Packet INternet Groper." It allows a user to check
the speed of Packet data sent and received on a network. It also lets
you know the IP address is up and running because it responds
immediately when pinged.
j***@netscape.net
2017-07-07 22:33:11 UTC
Post by Jim Colegrove
Post by j***@netscape.net
WTF is a Ping?!
Uni :-)
An acronym for '"Packet INternet Groper." It allows a user to check
the speed of Packet data sent and received on a network. It also lets
you know the IP address is up and running because it responds
immediately when pinged.
Thanks, Jimbo!!

I'm old school. If I need to send packets of data at great speed, I call FedX!!!

Uni :-)
Michael Black
2017-07-08 14:40:46 UTC
Post by Jim Colegrove
Post by j***@netscape.net
WTF is a Ping?!
Uni :-)
An acronym for '"Packet INternet Groper." It allows a user to check
the speed of Packet data sent and received on a network. It also lets
you know the IP address is up and running because it responds
immediately when pinged.
And all this time, I thought it was named after the "ping" used in sonar.

Michael
Tim
"Run silent-Run deep" .. reminds me of the instructions I got from a few married women I bedded when I was a much younger philanderer.
Marc Dashevsky
2017-07-09 10:02:32 UTC
Post by Michael Black
Post by Jim Colegrove
Post by j***@netscape.net
WTF is a Ping?!
Uni :-)
An acronym for '"Packet INternet Groper." It allows a user to check
the speed of Packet data sent and received on a network. It also lets
you know the IP address is up and running because it responds
immediately when pinged.
And all this time, I thought it was named after the "ping" used in sonar.
I think it was. "Packet INternet Groper" looks like something that was
made up so that "ping" would work.
Jim Colegrove
2017-07-09 15:42:09 UTC
On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 05:02:32 -0500, Marc Dashevsky
Post by Marc Dashevsky
Post by Michael Black
Post by Jim Colegrove
Post by j***@netscape.net
WTF is a Ping?!
Uni :-)
An acronym for '"Packet INternet Groper." It allows a user to check
the speed of Packet data sent and received on a network. It also lets
you know the IP address is up and running because it responds
immediately when pinged.
And all this time, I thought it was named after the "ping" used in sonar.
I think it was. "Packet INternet Groper" looks like something that was
made up so that "ping" would work.
It is stated, as you say, in this Wiki entry, Marc:

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Communication_Networks/Ping
Tim
What....ever! I just view it as a Pingee responding to a Pinger, in a anything goes Usenet environment .. former technical definitions be damned.
j***@netscape.net
2017-07-10 11:58:50 UTC
Post by Marc Dashevsky
Post by Michael Black
--
Replace "usenet" with "marc"
Okay, we now use Marc!!!

Uni :-)
Tim
Looks like he's gone in hiding. Probably on his way tto visit his fellow commie comrades at Berkeley.
Ken Whiton
2017-07-11 08:05:12 UTC
*-* On Mon, 10 Jul 2017, at 12:46:19 -0700 (PDT),
*-* In Article <676e5af1-dc4b-49ac-88af-***@googlegroups.com>,
*-* Tim wrote
*-* About Re: Ping - Tim
Post by Tim
On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 6:02:35 AM UTC-4, Marc Dashevsky
[ ... ]
Post by Tim
Post by Marc Dashevsky
Replace "usenet" with "marc"
Okay, we now use Marc!!!
Looks like he's gone in hiding. Probably on his way tto visit his
fellow commie comrades at Berkeley.
This is a different Marc.

Ken Whiton
--
FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: ***@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)
j***@netscape.net
2017-07-11 16:47:26 UTC
Post by Tim
On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 6:02:35 AM UTC-4, Marc Dashevsky
[ ... ]
Post by Tim
Post by Marc Dashevsky
Replace "usenet" with "marc"
Okay, we now use Marc!!!
Looks like he's gone in hiding. Probably on his way tto visit his
fellow commie comrades at Berkeley.
This is a different Marc.
Ken Whiton
--
FIDO: 1:132/152
Wait, I think this is a different Ken!!

"The MARC Scholars Program is a research-intensive undergraduate honors program for UC Berkeley undergraduates...".

I stay FAR, FAR away from Berkeley!!!

Uni :-)
Tim
2017-07-13 05:00:03 UTC
Post by Tim
On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 6:02:35 AM UTC-4, Marc Dashevsky
[ ... ]
Post by Tim
Post by Marc Dashevsky
Replace "usenet" with "marc"
Okay, we now use Marc!!!
Looks like he's gone in hiding. Probably on his way tto visit his
fellow commie comrades at Berkeley.
This is a different Marc.
Ken Whiton
--
FIDO: 1:132/152
This being the case, I sit corrected indifferently.