The Pretty Things live
hector
2018-10-13 02:06:16 UTC
They still have two original members, Dick Taylor who famously left the
Rolling Stones and Bill Wyman replaced him, and Phil May. A couple of
young members and a guy who probably joined in the 80s but looks
appropriately old.
I saw them live twice this week. They played much of SF Sorrow in the
first gig. I'm still not entirely sure if they played the whole thing
or not. But in two performances they didn't play Talking About the Good
Times, one of my favourites, a single from 68 or 67. And they only
played Midnight to Six Man at the second show.
Their set seemed to be mostly divided between their 67, 68 sound and
their early much more bluesy period, ignoring numerous releases from
then till now.
Apparently too they had difficulties and used a different name for some
releases, known as Electric Banana. They played at least one song from
that period, Alexander. I think they are called that in the Norman
Wisdom movie from 1969, What's Good For The Goose, where they play a
number of songs.
Melbourne audiences at one gig seemed to gravitate to their early blues
material.
Dick Taylor's guitar playing seems as good as ever, not sure if the talk
about his wrist problems were jokes or not. He apparently left the band
after SF Sorrow had less than great sales, and joined again years later.
They just would not have been the same without him in these two
performances.
D***@aol.com
2018-11-05 22:12:22 UTC
There is a grainy black and white video on youtube from 1967 of Cat Stevens performing "First Cut is the Deepest" with Twink from The Pretty Things backing him with some oustanding drumming!! Worth a llok, baby!!
hector
2018-11-07 13:21:57 UTC
Post by D***@aol.com
There is a grainy black and white video on youtube from 1967 of Cat Stevens performing "First Cut is the Deepest" with Twink from The Pretty Things backing him with some oustanding drumming!! Worth a llok, baby!!
I think Twink was long gone when I saw them.