Babbity Blue Pt II
Shantyman-H
2008-03-17 14:35:29 UTC
Babbity Blue Pt II

The Internet is a great tool for research.sometimes a bit slow.but then,
sometimes , it really can DELIVER.

I've used it to identify books, poems, articles, quotations and songs that I
've been searching for, for years.for forty year in this case. Back in 1965
a friend made me a tape of European pop songs (mostly from UK and French
radio) , most of which never made the crossing to the Western side of the
Atlantic. Over the years I've identified most, but a couple have eluded me.
Two years ago, I received a lead that one of the songs might be by a UK pop
singer called "Babbity Blue" . I posted a query, and received a few

I recently received a response from Babbity Blue herself, identifying the
song as a B side of hers (now all I have to do is find a clean copy) , and
offering to answer questions.

So , not wanting to miss this opportunity to learn more about a musical
genera and era that formed my musical tastes , and still fascinates me ,
"The First Brit Invasion" , here goes:

1) Where did "Babbity Blue" come from? Previous musical background,
origin of the name etc.

2) How did you get signed? Lucky break, contacts, manager, etc

3) Did you work with any well know musicians? Session musicians, as
opening act or on tour etc.

4) How did the music scene work, especially for women? You were a
contemporary of Lulu, Dusty, Petula, Sandy Shaw, Cilla Black, Marianne (all
great talents), and so many other talents who never made it. The beat groups
seemed to fight their way to the top of the club circuit (Cavern, Marquee,
Star club etc) to get noticed.

5) You came through (survived?) one of the most prolific periods of
modern music. Any observations on the "public implosions" of the current
female pop stars? Brittany , Avril, Lindsay and the others don't seem to be
handling it very well. Harder now.or just more public?

So, any revelations or observations you might have would be most
appreciated.
b***@bpope.wanadoo.co.uk
2008-03-23 17:57:08 UTC
Post by Shantyman-H
[...]
Hi, thanks so much for your posting and I'll try and answer your
questions with the best of what's left of my memory!

Well, before I was given the name 'Babbity Blue' I was just plain
Barbara Chalk. I had always wanted to sing from a very early age,
entertaining the family and singing to anyone who would listen and
becoming the typical 'teenager with a hairbrush microphone' performing
into the mirror. I entered various talent competitions and when I
heard that a management company were auditioning for new talent, I
went along. Six weeks later I was asked to listen to a demo which
turned out to be my first record, 'Don't Make Me'. With regard to the
name, this was thought up by my managers, Cyril Shane and Peter
Callendar. Apparently, Babbity is a french nickname for Barbara. The
Blue just fitted!

I was eventually signed by Decca. At the audition session, I was
introduced to Brian Poole's backing band, The Tremeloes, who offered
to provide the backing. I have a lot to thank them for! I recorded the
track a few weeks later, with the renowned producer/arranger Reg
'Earl' Guest, and the record was released on 1st January 1965.
Unfortunately I didn't tour and wasn't really part of the club scene,
but did various radio and TV appearances with some great people: The
Righteous Brothers, Barry White, Manfred Mann, Georgie Fame, Helen
Shapiro and many others.

The early 60s was a great time for female singers, both in groups and
solo artists. Apart from the girls who really made it - and some who
are still going strong today - there were a plethura of lesser known
singers who were really good. The Caravelles, Louise Cordet, Adrianne
Posta, The Vernons Girls. We were all part of an amazing time in the
history of pop music.

With regard to survival, I was really lucky. Even now, people are
surprised that I came through that era unscathed, having never smoked
or taken any drugs. Because I was young - only 17 - my parents were
very protective and either my mother or my managers came to most
bookings. I think the one saving grace for me was my fear of hurting
my parents, and their wrath if I did anything untoward! As far as the
public implosion of todays artists, I can't definitively say why but
maybe because their lives are played out for all to see. But yes, I
think it's much harder for them today. There is so much more money to
earn now and maybe that in itself creates the problems. Anything can
be afforded.

I hope I've not gone into too much uninteresting detail, but that it's
given you a little insight into my little bit of pop history. One
thing's for sure: I wouldn't have missed it for the world!