George Young, co-wrote Friday On My Mind, 70
t***@iwvisp.com
2017-10-24 01:24:57 UTC
George Young, a pioneer of Australia’s rock ‘n’ roll scene who, with Harry Vanda, shaped the sound and songs of The Easybeats and many bands that followed, died Sunday (Oct. 22) at the age of 70.

Born in Scotland, Young emigrated to Australia as a teen. He flourished in his new home, both as a musician and producer. In the early 1960s, the young guitarist met with Harry Vanda and Stevie Wright at Villawood Migrant hostel and formed the Easybeats. He's credited as a co-writer of the rock band's international hit "Friday on My Mind," which was covered by the likes of David Bowie and Gary Moore, and John Paul Young’s "Love Is in the Air,” which was introduced to a new generation of fans when an updated mix appeared prominently in Baz Luhrmann’s 1992 feature film Strictly Ballroom. In 2001 when APRA published its Top 30 Australian Songs, "Friday On My Mind" was declared No. 1 by a panel of 100 Australian writers, musicians and critics. The song reached No. 6 in the U.K. and No. 16 in the U.S.

After touring with bands like The Rolling Stones in the late ‘60s, the Easybeats broke up. But Young was just getting started. He took his skills behind the desk to the next level when, in 1973, he and Vanda formed Albert Productions in Sydney with Ted Albert. With Vanda and Young serving as inhouse writer-producers, the label emerged as an indie powerhouse. Young co-produced records for the likes of ARIA Hall of Famers Rose Tattoo, The Angels, John Paul Young and AC/DC, formed by his younger brothers Malcolm and Angus Young.

In 1988 he was inducted, along with Vanda, into the inaugural class of the ARIA Hall of Fame, and again as a member of the Easybeats in 2005. Alberts and APRA AMCOS’ annual Vanda & Young Songwriting Competition is named after the legendary songwriting partnership
Without Young, AC/DC would not exist, the band said in a statement issued Monday. “It is with pain in our heart that we have to announce the passing of our beloved brother and mentor George Young. Without his help and guidance there would not have been an AC/DC. As a musician, songwriter, producer, advisor and much, much more, you could not ask for a more dedicated and professional man. As a brother, you could not ask for a finer brother. For all he did and gave to us throughout his life, we will always remember him with gratitude and hold him close to our hearts."

“It is with great sadness that Alberts acknowledge the passing of George Young,” writes Alberts CEO David Albert. “A consummate songwriter, trailblazing producer, artist, mentor and extraordinary musician, George was above all else a gentleman who was unfailingly modest, charming, intelligent and loyal, a man with a wonderful sense of humor.” He adds,
“George was a pioneer who, with close friends Harry Vanda and Ted Albert, created a new sound for the Australian music industry.”

Young “was an innovative songwriter whose songs topped the charts not only in Australia, but resonated with audiences around the world,” notes APRA, which counted Young as a member since 1966.

Easybeats frontman Stevie Wright died in 2015 at the age of 68.

Ray Arthur
hector
2017-10-24 12:45:10 UTC
Post by t***@iwvisp.com
[...]
The oldest Young brother didn't leave the UK and ended up working at
Apple in the 60s.
What about why the Easybeats went from Wright/Young songs to Vanda/Young
ones? Wright became too unstable? They changed their attitudes. And
how Vanda's wife committed suicide in 66. And how Shel Talmy screwed
them over.
For a game I compare The Easybeats to The Seeds. The Seeds were right
where they were supposed to be. The Easybeats were always moving
around. Vanda and Young returned to Australia in about 1973, the first
album they did is on Rhino Records. If any body wanted to play on the
album they had to come to Australia, they weren't leaving again.
There's the story of how Johnny Young went to them for a song, they
apparently immediately wrote and gave him his hit, Step Back. In
Australia that is, The Easybeats best period was really before they left
Australia. They had a run of hits from 1965 to 1966. But Shel Talmy
didn't like anything they gave him until they came up with Friday On My
Mind.
Stevie Wright got mixed up with the insane psychiatrist who gave 'deep
sleep therapy' and his life was never the same again, that was after
returning to Australia.