Anyone remember "Any Other Way?"
DianeE
2017-10-16 16:34:10 UTC
https://tinyurl.com/y9efo3jr

or

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/15/arts/music/jackie-shane-transgender-soul-pioneer.html?hpw&rref=arts&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well
--------------
I discovered Jackie Shane's version of the song many years later. The
article describes it as a "William Bell song," but the version that was
played in NYC was by our own Chuck Jackson.

Interesting article about Jackie Shane, though.
BobbyM
2017-10-16 23:54:44 UTC
Post by DianeE
https://tinyurl.com/y9efo3jr
or
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/15/arts/music/jackie-shane-transgender-soul-pioneer.html?hpw&rref=arts&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well
--------------
I discovered Jackie Shane's version of the song many years later. The
article describes it as a "William Bell song," but the version that was
played in NYC was by our own Chuck Jackson.
Interesting article about Jackie Shane, though.
I have the 3 versions you mentioned:
William Bell (Sep 62) - my copy is from The various artists compilation, Complete Stax Volt Singles 1959-1968
Chuck Jackson (Aug 63) - my copy is from his vinyl, Greatest Hits
Jackie Shane (Jan 1963) - my copy is an mp3 I got somewhere along the way
Roger Ford
2017-10-17 04:33:32 UTC
On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 16:54:44 -0700 (PDT), BobbyM
Post by BobbyM
Post by DianeE
https://tinyurl.com/y9efo3jr
or
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/15/arts/music/jackie-shane-transgender-soul-pioneer.html?hpw&rref=arts&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well
--------------
I discovered Jackie Shane's version of the song many years later. The
article describes it as a "William Bell song," but the version that was
played in NYC was by our own Chuck Jackson.
Interesting article about Jackie Shane, though.
William Bell (Sep 62) - my copy is from The various artists compilation, Complete Stax Volt Singles 1959-1968
Chuck Jackson (Aug 63) - my copy is from his vinyl, Greatest Hits
Jackie Shane (Jan 1963) - my copy is an mp3 I got somewhere along the way
There's the later Monalisa & The Pastels version out there too. Not
sure of the year tho.

ROGER FORD

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
BobbyM
2017-10-17 05:05:24 UTC
Post by BobbyM
Post by DianeE
[...]
http://youtu.be/YhZpUSJ8BuA
That version reminds me of Mary Wells.

Going by the record # for Steady, probably 71 or 72; however 45Cat also shows a release on the Wise Owl label (with no date given) & they don't show any other records released on that label. http://www.45cat.com/record/u36245m

A commenter also says it was released on Tranquility 0034; it's not listed on the site but again going by the record #, looks like a '71 release for that issue.