The Monkees - Words - 1967
Uni
2009-04-25 21:30:32 UTC
Not the Top 40 hit version, but it will work!!!....

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abpsp/images/words.mp3

Ahhh.. Great song, guys! Takle some bows!

Uni
globular
The earlier TV show version?
Uni

Uni
globular
The earlier TV version of Valleri is better than the later released one.
Taliesyn
2009-04-26 14:44:31 UTC
Post by globular
Post by globular
Post by Uni
Not the Top 40 hit version, but it will work!!!....
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abpsp/images/words.mp3
Ahhh.. Great song, guys! Takle some bows!
Uni
The earlier TV show version?
Yeah!
Uni
The earlier TV version of Valleri is better than the later released one.
Both "TV versions" come from Monkees Missing Links, Vol. 2, released by
Rhino about 20 years ago. While the TV version "Valleri" on the CD is
the original heard "bootlegged" over radio back in '67, the alternate
"Words is not. It differs from both the released remake (hit) and the TV
version in that it has a flute solo in place of a the Hammond Organ solo
and a backwards tape loop. So no, it's not the TV version at all. And
just as the TV version of "Valleri" was bootlegged over radio, so was
"Words". Both TV versions made my personal charts at the time. There was
a huge public demand for "Valleri" to be released as a single, and it
was, 11 months later. And probably a similar, short-lived demand for
"Words, whose official release came just 2 months after being radio
"bootlegged".

And I fully agree with you, the earlier version of "Valleri" better.
Raunchier!

-Taliesyn
globular
2009-04-27 00:56:05 UTC
Post by Taliesyn
Post by globular
Post by globular
Post by Uni
[...]
Yes, but I got them from the newer releases of the early albums on CD in
the last couple of years. I've never heard Missing Links Vol. 2, I only
got Vol. 1. It might be the TV version on the newer releases, but I
would need to check the details. I have the TV episode as well.
The vocals are much better on the earlier Valleri, and probably the fuzz
guitar. My suspicision is that Mike Nesmith was unhappy with the guitar
solo which he may not have done.
Taliesyn
2009-04-27 01:35:22 UTC
Post by globular
Post by Taliesyn
[...]
On which current Monkees CDs are these alternate versions on, may I ask?
I believe Monkees Missing Links Vol. 2 is currently out of print.

-Taliesyn
Dennis M
2009-04-27 02:05:09 UTC
Was there ever a version of Valleri with an ending that faded? Seems like I
never heard one with a hard ending until I heard the song on CD.
Ron Fowler
2009-04-28 06:27:28 UTC
The original single and album versions of "Valleri" faded out. I never
heard the cold ending until the local oldies station started playing it
12-15 years ago.

globular
2009-04-27 10:39:01 UTC
Post by Taliesyn
Post by globular
Post by Taliesyn
[...]
Rhino released remastered versions of the first four Monkees albums in
recent years (2006), having both mono and stereo versions of the albums.
And lots of bonus tracks. I checked the booklet for More of the
Monkees, it says Words was previously 'collected' on Missing Links Vol.
2. They remixed some bonus tracks too, such as Love To Love into stereo.
I'm waiting for the next albums.
Uni