The Dirty Mac, "Yer Blues"
Dresden Houndiearfums
2017-09-09 20:52:12 UTC
I imagine most of us have seen this - it's a supergroup put
together by John Lennon for the performance of "Yer Blues" at the
Rolling Stones' Rock & Roll Circus. Lennon performed vocals &
rhythm guitar, Eric Clapton played lead guutar, Keith Richards
played bass, & Mitch Mitchell played drums. It's a solid
performance, quite close to the WA version of the song. The guys
were a little out of sync at the point where the song pauses after
the solo section (one of Ringo's best moments on the studio
version, IMO), and I miss McCartney's backing vocals, but it was a
reasonably successful contribution to the Stones' spectacle.
It's cool to hear a Beatles song played live by an actual Beatle from a
time when they just weren't doing that any more. And to have a Beatle,
a Stone, a Cream, and an Experience all playing together was a once-in-
a-lifetime event.
That transition to the coda on the Beatles record is rhythmically odd -
no wonder they had trouble navigating it. The studio version is helped
out with an audible edit - I wonder how the two separate parts sounded
before being joined?
Oh Nil we are so glad that someone so gifted as yourself has declared
this as "cool". All of us were unsure how to deal with this video until
you have given it your blessing. And thank you so much for giving us
your insight on the songs' transition. It helps us to appreciate the
music in a way that was heretofore not possible because we weren't
guided by your wisdom.
Dresden Houndiearfums
2017-09-11 00:16:29 UTC
Yeah, I've always wondered about that little "fall of your chair"
edit too.
I was just listening to the song's intro ("Two... three... Yes I'm...")
side by side with the fill coming into the coda. Guess what?! Turns out
that the coda is just a repeat of the intro! Same performance take,
just mixed differently, featuring John's off-mic guide vocal. All of
Ringo's fills are exactly the same. Paul's bass, too. Maybe that's
common knowledge, but it never occurred to me. I figured they were
different takes.
OK, so that explains the drum fill at the end - I wonder how the guitar
solos section *REALLY* ended? They weren't known for being great
improvisers so I wouldn't be surprised to find that the take fell apart
after where it's cut, which could be why they resorted to the edit and
tape repeat.
Wow Nil what a great revelation almost 50 years after the fact. Just
think what an important contribution you have made to Beatles research
with this extraordinary discovery. You should publish a paper and have
it authenticated by Mark Lewishon or better yet, dig up George Martin
because you are so important, you could do something like that.