Quincy Jones Interview
Dresden Houndiearfums
2018-02-08 22:36:41 UTC
Wasn't it Jones who advised Jacko to cover a McCartney song on his
first solo album? And I think he produced one of the
Jackson-McCartney duets in the 80s. Okay, this is an endorsement
of McCartney's songsriting than it is his bass playing. Still,
why would Jones guide Jacko into collaborating with an allegedly
terrible musician?
Jones also waxed rhapsodic about Paul's "Kisses on the Bottom" work.
Methinks Quincy is either getting senile or being intentionally
provocative in order to get attention. Is he promoting a book?
For another thing, his comments about Ringo could only have happened
during the making of "Sentimental Journey"... and Ringo doesn't even
play on that album, he just sang to tracks already recorded by George
Martin.
Oh Nil you are so wise. You should lay your hands on Quincy's head and
heal the porch monkey of all the hatred and bitterness in his heart. Now
would be the perfect time to do it too considering it is Black History
Month. Nobody cares for the little sambos more that you oh great Nil
Dresden Houndiearfums
2018-02-16 13:07:02 UTC
George, too. His guitar work, when he had time to work on his
solos, was pretty good in the final recorded versions but if you
listen to the early takes he misses quite a bit. But by Abbey Road
he's so accomplished. Clapton must have shown him some tricks.
I think Ringo improved or developed his playing over time, too. He
seems to have lost some of the raw rock and roll drive he had during
their live performance years, but then he came up with more unusual and
creative parts in the studio, with more of an orchestral approach.
Seems to me that John didn't really develop as much on his instrument
as the others. He learned that alternating-bass guitar pattern from
Donovan, I guess, but what else new?
You are so right oh great Nil. Lennon really never improved his
musicianship the way the other Beatles did. His acoustic guitar playing
was copied by millions of others but that was just a fluke. His piano
playing also was nothing compared to the playing of Macca. If only you
were there to inspire him to improve his playing maybe he would have
done better and more people would have remembered and revered him.
Dresden Houndiearfums
2018-02-16 13:18:09 UTC
All My Loving.
Another early Paul bass line I was admiring lately: "I'm a Loser". Some
nice walking stuff, a la "All My Loving" and some cool slidey swoops
and trills, the kinds of things he made an even bigger deal out of
later.
I bet Macca is thrilled that the great Nil has complimented his bass
lines yet again. No praise could be higher than that from Nil. For his
knowledge of music surpasses that of everyone else. If only the
newspapers would quote Nil to counter the Black Quincy interview.