Twickenham, London The 4th of September 1968
Dresden Houndiearfums
2018-01-19 15:20:17 UTC
I guess the reason I always believed Paul about this one is
simple....because he told Cynthia Lennon about it right away
supposedly (based on numerous books)....including her own. She
could have sold more books if she included something sensational
about Paul...like he didn't write the song for Julian as he said.
Songs can be "about" more than one thing. I believe that this one is
inspired by and makes reference to Julian's situation, and then it
turned into a more general song of hope. And we know that some of the
lines were introduced mostly because they scanned well, not because
they made the best literal sense.
I don't think it's useful to try to pin too much specific meaning on a
lot of Paul's lyrics. For me, it's enough to bask in the vibe they
evoke and the way they trip off the tongue.
Thank you so much oh great Nil for telling us all how to appreciate the
music of the Beatles, particularly Paul McCartney. Without your divine
guidance, none of us would appreciate the subtle beauty and aeolian
cadences that is ubiquitous in Beatle music.
Dresden Houndiearfums
2018-01-19 15:23:16 UTC
I'll tell ya....dead Paul still had a lot of talent too!
It's amazing - they found someone to replace dead Paul who was a better
songwriter, better singer, better bassist, and even cuter. What a
stroke of luck!! I ask ya, what are the chances?!?!?
They could have replaced Paul with you oh great Nil. After all you are
immortal and more talented than Macca. Your presence would have made the
Beatles an even bigger band and would have added your lyrics to the end
of the New Testament.
chester
2018-01-20 00:32:12 UTC
I've viewed this performance of Hey Jude perhaps a hundred times over the years without even trying .. it just keeps popping up, most usually immediately following their David Frost Show rendition of Revolution, which for me loses some of it's appeal by tossing into it a bunch of doobie do wops and by so doing this takes too much of the edge John intended for this rousing royal rocker
It gave the other three a meaning to be on camera. Why can't I find the
Mono version of "Revolution"?
which was sped up at the behest of George Martin to make it more commercially
Sped up? You're talking about not liking this faster version?
viable and a potential chart topper had it's release timing not caused it to compete directly against Hey Jude as the flip side of this long awaited double A side record.
But back at "Hey Jude" do you or others here buy into Paul's claim that it's lyrics were a direct result of Paul wanting to soothe Julian's hurt feelings over John and Cynthia's impending divorce?<<
The lyrics never made sense. Why hasn't anyone who has interviewed Paul,
challenged him on the lyrics to "Hey Jude"?
If the song was just about Julian, "so let it out and let it in"
Let what out and let what in?
Paulie is telling Jules to breathe in and out easily so he can make nice
poopies. Julian was always a very constipated boy. His plops smelled
worse than Hillary Clinton's breath.
"You were waiting for someone to perform with"
He's waiting for a little boy to perform with who, or whom?
I don't buy it that this song was all about Julian. Sounds
like some drug references in there.
It's about doodie, Jeffie.
I say perhaps not after the denial John earlier employed in claiming Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds was conceived from a harmless non drug related drawing which young Julian had brought home from school.<<
We'll never know.
You know Jeffie. You know.