What are they saying in "Old Brown Shoe"?
Wir Munchen Liebschoen
2017-08-05 12:43:25 UTC
I'll be a singer/Wear rings on every finger"
Maybe he wrote it originally for Ringo.
Hmmmm.
I can't cite sources, but I think I read, or heard from George's own lips (in a documentary) that it was about leaving the Beatles and the recent bullshit, much of which landed on him: Even his mentor, John, was slagging his music writing ability (Imagine!) Paul was acting like the King Beatle and telling George he was relying to much on the Wah-Wah pedal, resulting in George's first solo single, Wah-Wah ("I don't need your waaaah - waaaah!").
In this analogy, the old brown shoe is the inferior position into which he'd been slotted in The Beatles. Contemporaneously, he was writing Wah-Wah, with the line "And I know now how sweet life can be / If I keep myself free."
And at the end of Old Brown Shoe, he's (at least in the Gary Brooker version), "Truly, truly gone!"
// Word //
The original title was "Old Brown Jew". The song was a tribute to Sammy
Davis Jr. The chanting at the end was "Sammy, Sammy jew".
chester
2017-08-09 19:58:40 UTC
What are the chanting vocals saying in the ending fadeout of "Old Brown
Shoe"? It's so indistinct that my imagination can impose a number of
different possibilities, but it really sounds most like nonsense
syllables, something like "do-la, do-lay-do". The version sung by Gary
Booker from the Concert for George sounds like of like "Too late, too
late doll", but that doesn't really make much sense in the context of
the song. Am I missing something obvious?
Sorry, Nil, I don't know the answer to your question. Is it something
like blank blank let it down?
Speaking of Gary Brooker, I have an album by him called "Lead me
to the water" in which George Harrison plays slide on one song. I
forget name of song. Need to transfer this song to CD.
I had an 80's Gary Brooker album, autographed!
I made a big doody bomb on an 80's Gary Brooker album.