Songs most closely associated with movies
Cathy Parker
2003-09-18 07:35:45 UTC
I cannot think separate Sound of Silence from the Graduate.

Same goes for Everybody's Balkin and Midnight Cowboy.

And, the ear cutting song and Reservoir Dogs. Hearing that song on the
radio gives me the creeps.
Elko Tchernev
2003-09-18 07:41:51 UTC
Did you mean Mrs. Robinson?
Richard
2003-09-18 08:33:58 UTC
Post by Elko Tchernev
Post by Cathy Parker
I cannot think separate Sound of Silence from the Graduate.
Did you mean Mrs. Robinson?
The electrified version of "Sound of Silence" is played
over the opening credits and other Simon & Garfunkle
songs are used in the film. Oddly enough, the version of
"Mrs. Robinson" actually heard in the film is quite
different than the version that became a no. 1 single.

Richard
Elko Tchernev
2003-09-18 09:07:55 UTC
Post by Richard
Post by Elko Tchernev
Post by Cathy Parker
I cannot think separate Sound of Silence from the Graduate.
Did you mean Mrs. Robinson?
The electrified version of "Sound of Silence" is played
over the opening credits and other Simon & Garfunkle
songs are used in the film. Oddly enough, the version of
"Mrs. Robinson" actually heard in the film is quite
different than the version that became a no. 1 single.
Ah, over the credits. That's why I never noticed - I don't watch
them. "Mrs. Robinson" is a different version, you are right - but still
it is the song that I (and I believe most people) can't separate from
the film, not any of the other songs.
Richard Schultz
2003-09-18 10:21:27 UTC
In rec.arts.movies.past-films Elko Tchernev <***@acm.org> wrote:

: Ah, over the credits. That's why I never noticed - I don't watch
: them. "Mrs. Robinson" is a different version, you are right - but still
: it is the song that I (and I believe most people) can't separate from
: the film, not any of the other songs.

I always found that sort of weird in that the lyrics of "Mrs. Robinson"
(if I understand them correctly) have nothing whatsoever to do with
anything that happens in the film.

-----
Richard Schultz ***@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
They do not think whom they souse with spray.
Dennis McGee
2003-09-18 19:03:44 UTC
Post by Richard Schultz
I always found that sort of weird in that the lyrics of "Mrs. Robinson"
(if I understand them correctly) have nothing whatsoever to do with
anything that happens in the film.
Well in the movie they never show her literally "going to the candidates'
debate" for example but I think as a character study the lyrics are pretty
much on the mark.

Another one: it's hard to listen to "Stayin' Alive" without thinking of
that famous opening shot of Travolta walking down the sidewalk in Saturday
Night Fever.
--
_--_ "Welcome back my friends,
/ `--''> ,,, to the show that never ends."
| / I I |||||||||[:::]
\ oo ,-._> ''' Super Seventies RockSite!
`--' http://www.superseventies.com/
Your Pal Brian
2003-09-18 20:39:58 UTC
Post by Dennis McGee
Another one: it's hard to listen to "Stayin' Alive" without thinking of
that famous opening shot of Travolta walking down the sidewalk in Saturday
Night Fever.
That one will always be Airplane for me, just like Puttin' on the Ritz will
always be Young Frankenstein.

Brian
Tim Kelley
2003-09-18 15:16:52 UTC
Post by Elko Tchernev
Ah, over the credits. That's why I never noticed - I don't watch
them. "Mrs. Robinson" is a different version, you are right - but still
it is the song that I (and I believe most people) can't separate from
the film, not any of the other songs.
No, I tend to associate SoS with The Graduate as well.

Tim

PS How about As Time Goes By with Casablanca?
Fang
2003-09-18 17:30:21 UTC
Post by Tim Kelley
Post by Elko Tchernev
Ah, over the credits. That's why I never noticed - I don't watch
them. "Mrs. Robinson" is a different version, you are right - but still
it is the song that I (and I believe most people) can't separate from
the film, not any of the other songs.
No, I tend to associate SoS with The Graduate as well.
Also Scarborough Fair and America which both feature prominently in the
film.

Stephen Cooke
2003-09-18 20:26:03 UTC
Post by Fang
Post by Tim Kelley
Post by Elko Tchernev
Ah, over the credits. That's why I never noticed - I don't watch
them. "Mrs. Robinson" is a different version, you are right - but still
it is the song that I (and I believe most people) can't separate from
the film, not any of the other songs.
No, I tend to associate SoS with The Graduate as well.
Also Scarborough Fair and America which both feature prominently in the
film.
I haven't seen the film in a while, but I'm pretty sure that America isn't
used anywhere in The Graduate.

swac
On the other hand, there's the Big Green Pleasure Machine...
Andrew @ Rockface
2003-09-19 12:31:19 UTC
Post by Stephen Cooke
Post by Fang
Post by Tim Kelley
Post by Elko Tchernev
Ah, over the credits. That's why I never noticed - I don't watch
them. "Mrs. Robinson" is a different version, you are right - but still
it is the song that I (and I believe most people) can't separate from
the film, not any of the other songs.
No, I tend to associate SoS with The Graduate as well.
Also Scarborough Fair and America which both feature prominently in the
film.
I haven't seen the film in a while, but I'm pretty sure that America isn't
used anywhere in The Graduate.
swac
On the other hand, there's the Big Green Pleasure Machine...
Seeing as though everyone is getting a little anal over The Graduate I
thought I'd join in - it's Big BRIGHT Green Pleasure Machine.
BTW SoS is The Graduate for me.
Favourite Simon & Garfunkel song has to be a tie between For Emily and
Patterns.

Andrew
--
Andrew @ Rockface
www.rockface-records.co.uk
Fang
2003-09-19 14:09:43 UTC
Post by Stephen Cooke
I haven't seen the film in a while, but I'm pretty sure that America isn't
used anywhere in The Graduate.
Apologies for responding to the wrong post (not downloaded by my ISP) - I've
tried to attribute it correctly.

Wasn't America used for the scene at the end where they escape from the
wedding on a bus?

Steve2000indeja
2003-09-19 19:55:16 UTC
Old Time Rock and Roll' (1979) and 'Risky Business' (1983-4?)

probably already been mentioned.

Steve
Will C.
2003-09-20 12:13:36 UTC
Born to Be Wild from Easy Rider
Perry Sailor
2003-09-18 19:46:49 UTC
Post by Elko Tchernev
Post by Richard
Post by Elko Tchernev
Post by Cathy Parker
I cannot think separate Sound of Silence from the Graduate.
Did you mean Mrs. Robinson?
The electrified version of "Sound of Silence" is played
over the opening credits and other Simon & Garfunkle
songs are used in the film. Oddly enough, the version of
"Mrs. Robinson" actually heard in the film is quite
different than the version that became a no. 1 single.
Ah, over the credits. That's why I never noticed - I don't watch
them. "Mrs. Robinson" is a different version, you are right - but still
it is the song that I (and I believe most people) can't separate from
the film, not any of the other songs.
I wouldn't swear to it, but I'm pretty sure Sounds of Silence also plays
later in the film, maybe when Ben's hanging around Berkeley and pursuing
Elaine. .

More: Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head with Butch Cassidy and the Sundance
Kid. And speaking of Newman and Redford, The Entertainer with The Sting.
Moon River with Breakfast at Tiffany's. The End with Apocalypse Now. That
Bob Segar song with Risky Business. And of course, Maggie's Farm with The
Freshman. :-)

Perry
Calvin Rice
2003-09-18 20:32:54 UTC
Post by Elko Tchernev
Ah, over the credits. That's why I never noticed - I don't watch
them. "Mrs. Robinson" is a different version, you are right - but still
it is the song that I (and I believe most people) can't separate from
the film, not any of the other songs.
In the era of The Graduate the only credits were at the beginning.

-cr
James Neibaur
2003-09-18 20:36:48 UTC
I was turned on to Gershwin upon seeing Woody Allen's "Manhattan," and its
great renditions of Rhapsody In Blue, etc.

JN
David Matthews
2003-09-18 23:35:37 UTC
Post by James Neibaur
I was turned on to Gershwin upon seeing Woody Allen's "Manhattan," and its
great renditions of Rhapsody In Blue, etc.
JN
You've probably seen the Warner Bros biography of Gershwin "Rhapsody
in Blue" but if not it's a must-see. The biography part is the usual
Hollywood mishmash of fact and fiction but the musical numbers are
magnificent and in the cast are legendary figures like Al Johnson,
Paul Whiteman, George White and Oscar Levant all playing themselves.
The writing credits are interesting also, among the writers were
Clifford Odets and Elliot Paul.

Dave in Toronto
Elko Tchernev
2003-09-18 20:54:40 UTC
Post by Calvin Rice
Post by Elko Tchernev
Ah, over the credits. That's why I never noticed - I don't watch
them. "Mrs. Robinson" is a different version, you are right - but still
it is the song that I (and I believe most people) can't separate from
the film, not any of the other songs.
In the era of The Graduate the only credits were at the beginning.
Quite possible. The only way I've watched movies from that era (up
to the mid 70's) is on video/dvd, and there I fast-forward through any
credits, should they come up. And the times I've seen "The Graduate" on
TV (I think it was on Bravo quite recently), I usually miss the beginning.
larry legallo
2003-09-18 21:10:19 UTC
Post by Elko Tchernev
Post by Richard
The electrified version of "Sound of Silence" is played
over the opening credits and other Simon & Garfunkle
songs are used in the film. Oddly enough, the version of
"Mrs. Robinson" actually heard in the film is quite
different than the version that became a no. 1 single.
Ah, over the credits. That's why I never noticed - I don't watch
them.
It's played elsewhere in the movie, too. And you really shouldn't
skip the credits of The Graduate. Mike Nichols is known for his
eloquent opening sequences, and this is one of his best. It sets a
pitch-perfect tone for the movie.
Post by Elko Tchernev
"Mrs. Robinson" is a different version, you are right - but still
it is the song that I (and I believe most people) can't separate from
the film, not any of the other songs.
If you watch the film again, you'd see that "Sounds of Silence" is
used much more prominently than "Mrs. Robinson."
John Harkness
2003-09-18 11:11:01 UTC
Post by Elko Tchernev
Post by Cathy Parker
I cannot think separate Sound of Silence from the Graduate.
Did you mean Mrs. Robinson?
Sounds of Silence is also on the soundtrack.

John Harkness
Kent
2003-09-18 16:34:59 UTC
Post by John Harkness
Post by Elko Tchernev
Did you mean Mrs. Robinson?
Sounds of Silence is also on the soundtrack.
As is "Scarborough Fair", another one that's likely to be associated with
that film. "Mrs. Robinson" was the only one actually written for it, though.

KentP
Trudi Marrapodi
2003-09-18 10:35:07 UTC
Post by Cathy Parker
I cannot think separate Sound of Silence from the Graduate.
Same goes for Everybody's Balkin and Midnight Cowboy.
You mean "Everybody's Talkin," right?
Post by Cathy Parker
And, the ear cutting song and Reservoir Dogs. Hearing that song on the
radio gives me the creeps.
What exactly is "the ear cutting song"?

I'm sure that there's many a man for whom the merest sound of "Dueling
Banjos" makes him feel somewhat...fragile.
Trudi
Marc Dashevsky
2003-09-18 10:37:16 UTC
Post by Cathy Parker
And, the ear cutting song and Reservoir Dogs. Hearing that song on the
radio gives me the creeps.
What exactly is "the ear cutting song"?
"Stuck In The Middle With You" by Stealer's Wheel. The song
itself has nothing to do with cutting off ears; it's simply
playing while the deed is done.
Marc Dashevsky -- Remove '_' from address if replying by e-mail.
Billy Grant
Regina Litman
2003-09-18 23:03:55 UTC
Post by Billy Grant
Urge Overkill's version of " You'll Be a Woman Soon" in Pulp Fiction.
I think you mean here "Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon".

So, I'll jump in and mention another song written by Neil Diamond, "I'm
A Believer" and "Shrek". Not the hit version by the Monkees (which is in
one of the Austin Powers movies) but one that was new at the time
(twenty-oh-one) by Smash Mouth.

And speaking of the year that I pronounce as "twenty-oh-one", the song
that was later a hit for Deodato, "Also Sprach Zarathrusta". It was the
theme music for the movie "Twenty-Oh-One: A Space Odyssey".
--
Please note my correct email address:

rslitman [at-sign] infionline [dot] net
Bob Radil
2003-09-20 14:04:55 UTC
Post by Regina Litman
And speaking of the year that I pronounce as "twenty-oh-one", the song
that was later a hit for Deodato, "Also Sprach Zarathrusta". It was the
theme music for the movie "Twenty-Oh-One: A Space Odyssey".
--
rslitman [at-sign] infionline [dot] net
Why "twenty-oh-one" ? Just curious.

Bob Radil
<A HREF="mailto:***@aol.com?subject=NewsgroupResponse"> E-Mail </A>

=== "Since I've got all my hair, there's no real need for a toupee." ===
the Petter the Better
2003-09-20 22:54:05 UTC
I guess we're in the year 20 - 0 - 3 by now....
Brett A. Pasternack
2003-09-21 00:09:03 UTC
Post by Bob Radil
Why "twenty-oh-one" ? Just curious.
You'll thank us when you're saying "twenty-thirteen" and everyone else
is saying "two thousand and thirteen". B^)
Regina Litman
2003-09-22 01:16:00 UTC
Post by Bob Radil
Post by Regina Litman
And speaking of the year that I pronounce as "twenty-oh-one", the song
that was later a hit for Deodato, "Also Sprach Zarathrusta". It was the
theme music for the movie "Twenty-Oh-One: A Space Odyssey".
Why "twenty-oh-one" ? Just curious.
Because we said "nineteen ninety-nine",
"nineteen-ninety-eight"..."nineteen-oh-one", "nineteen hundred", etc.

CitizenDan
2003-09-18 16:46:03 UTC
The most interesting songs in this category are ones that weren't
written for a movie, but have come to be associated with a movie to
the point where that association almost eclipses the song's former
life as a plain old record. "Stuck in the Middle With You" has
probably attained that status; so has "The End," at least for me; I
can't hear it now without thinking of the giant napalm attack at the
beginning of "Apocalypse Now."
DianeE
2003-09-19 11:30:42 UTC
Post by CitizenDan
The most interesting songs in this category are ones that weren't
written for a movie, but have come to be associated with a movie to
the point where that association almost eclipses the song's former
life as a plain old record. "Stuck in the Middle With You" has
probably attained that status; so has "The End," at least for me; I
can't hear it now without thinking of the giant napalm attack at the
beginning of "Apocalypse Now."
---------------
That's why I'm glad I never go to the movies.

DianeE
Bob Radil
2003-09-21 02:05:59 UTC
Post by DianeE
Post by CitizenDan
beginning of "Apocalypse Now."
---------------
That's why I'm glad I never go to the movies.
DianeE
You mean I can't treat you to a movie sometime? :-(

Shorty Blackwell
2003-09-18 16:48:24 UTC
Post by Trudi Marrapodi
Post by Cathy Parker
I cannot think separate Sound of Silence from the Graduate.
Same goes for Everybody's Balkin and Midnight Cowboy.
You mean "Everybody's Talkin," right?
Yep. Same goes for me. That song: inextricably linked to the
wonderful '69 film. Since this is a cross post, I'll stray from the
60s to bring up Don't You Forget About Me: The Breakfast Club!!

And, Stand By Me. :)
Shorty Blackwell
2003-09-18 16:51:18 UTC
When You Get Caught Between The Moon & New York City (that can't be
the true title!) & Arthur! Ah!! Dudley & Liz at their best!!
the Petter the Better
2003-09-20 22:56:32 UTC
Surely it's not the title! Cristopher Cross - Arthur's Theme (Best That You
Can Do) 1981
"Shorty Blackwell" wrote > When You Get Caught Between
h***@brazee.net
2003-09-21 01:08:20 UTC
Is it cheating to name _Colonel Bogey March_ from _The Bridge on the River
Kwai_ ?
Trudi Marrapodi
2003-09-19 11:21:08 UTC
Post by Marc Dashevsky
Post by Cathy Parker
And, the ear cutting song and Reservoir Dogs. Hearing that song on the
radio gives me the creeps.
What exactly is "the ear cutting song"?
"Stuck In The Middle With You" by Stealer's Wheel. The song
itself has nothing to do with cutting off ears; it's simply
playing while the deed is done.
Ai yi, yi...thanks for letting me know this...now I'll never be able to
hear that song the same way again. (ouch).
Trudi
Vince Macek
2003-09-18 22:06:09 UTC
Post by Cathy Parker
And, the ear cutting song and Reservoir Dogs. Hearing that song on the
radio gives me the creeps.
What exactly is "the ear cutting song"?
'Stuck in the Middle with You' by one Stealer's Wheel (ca 1970)

Roy Orbison's "In Dreams' has a similar effect with me (see 'Blue Velvet').

VMacek
James Neibaur
2003-09-18 22:22:25 UTC
Post by Vince Macek
'Stuck in the Middle with You' by one Stealer's Wheel (ca 1970)
I think that one was around 1973 or so wasn't it?

JN
Vince Macek
2003-09-20 12:34:25 UTC
Post by James Neibaur
Post by Vince Macek
'Stuck in the Middle with You' by one Stealer's Wheel (ca 1970)
I think that one was around 1973 or so wasn't it?
JN
I expect you're right - usually I like a song, it gets fixed to that
specific time w/me, but not always.

Has the 'Blue Danube' waltz been cited w/'2001' yet? How about
w/'Austin Powers'?

VMacek
David Matthews
2003-09-20 18:32:25 UTC
"The Moment I Saw You" - "Out of the Past"

'Too Marvellous For Words" - "Dark Passage".

Dave in Toronto
Mike Girouard
2003-09-26 09:51:17 UTC
Post by David Matthews
"The Moment I Saw You" - "Out of the Past"
'Too Marvellous For Words" - "Dark Passage".
Dave in Toronto
Lara's Theme ("Dr. Zhivago")
More (theme from "Mondo Cane")
Theme from "A Summer Place"

FoggyTown
Shorty Blackwell
2003-09-18 16:49:12 UTC
Everybody's Talkin' also well used in Forrest Gump! :)
Doug Krause
Ravel's Bolero and "10"
Your Pal Brian
2003-09-18 18:12:06 UTC
Post by Doug Krause
Post by Cathy Parker
I cannot think separate Sound of Silence from the Graduate.
Same goes for Everybody's Balkin and Midnight Cowboy.
And, the ear cutting song and Reservoir Dogs. Hearing that song on the
radio gives me the creeps.
Ravel's Bolero and "10"
Midnight and the Stars and You - The Shining

Seems Like Old Times - Annie Hall

Show Me The Way To Go Home - Jaws

Brian
Vince Macek
2003-09-19 10:58:07 UTC
Post by Doug Krause
Ravel's Bolero and "10"
Tequila and "Pee-wee's Big Adventure"

VMacek
Ernie_IRS
2003-09-18 18:43:44 UTC
Heavy stuff, man: Pink Floyd's reworking of "Eugene" as "Come in Number 51,
your Time is up" in Antonioni's "Blow Up" (1970) slow-motion explosions end
scene. (http://www.film.unizh.ch/zabriskie_4.html).
Also Patti Page's 78 "Tennesse Waltz" (1950) has made itself strongly
associated with the movie, as does The Rolling Stones's "You got the
Silver", missing from the CD for business reasons.
Jerry Garcia's "Love Scene" guitar noodlings are very pretty on the CD, but
they were full of clicks and heavy jumps when heard in the movie theatres at
the time: the operators would often cut nudity scenes from movies for
private home viewing. The liner notes of the expanded CD soundtrack are
here:
http://www.sci.fi/~phinnweb/links/cinema/directors/antonioni/zabriskie/.

1970's "Performance" (Cammell and Roeg) made quite an impression on 19 year
old me. "Memo from Turner" even was a minor hit single in the Netherlands. I
remember a scene in which James Fox meets Anita Pallenberg, who is carrying
a basket of mushrooms, in the back garden, to the sound of Ry Cooder's
"Powis Square". For a few moments, the focus of the camera shifts to an
airplane flying over. A very memorable moment though I can not explain why.
"Powis Square" is Cooder's interpretation of Blind Willie Johnson's "Dark
was the Night" (1927) which he also used extensively in Wender's "Paris,
Texas".
radio gives me the creeps.
Stephen Cooke
2003-09-18 20:28:17 UTC
Post by Ernie_IRS
Heavy stuff, man: Pink Floyd's reworking of "Eugene" as "Come in Number 51,
your Time is up" in Antonioni's "Blow Up" (1970) slow-motion explosions end
scene. (http://www.film.unizh.ch/zabriskie_4.html).
Psst....it's ZABRISKIE POINT, not Blow Up.

swac
STill waiting for this one on DVD...
Ernie_IRS
2003-09-18 22:41:40 UTC
Post by Stephen Cooke
Post by Ernie_IRS
Heavy stuff, man: Pink Floyd's reworking of "Eugene" as "Come in Number 51,
your Time is up" in Antonioni's "Blow Up" (1970) slow-motion explosions end
scene. (http://www.film.unizh.ch/zabriskie_4.html).
Psst....it's ZABRISKIE POINT, not Blow Up.
swac
STill waiting for this one on DVD...
That was a slip of the keyboard, pardon me. Speaking of "Blow Up": that one
has The Yardbirds performing "Stroll On", essentially "Train kept a-rollin'"
with different lyrics and a slightly different arrangement to accommodate
for two lead guitars parts. Antonioni wanted The Who in the movie, but they
were not available.
I have just watched that scene again, counting the movie mistakes. It's not
easy to tell if Beck starts out on a Les Paul and then smahes up a Hofner
reject, as his bandmates Dreja and McCarty claim. In the first minute the
guitar neck appears whiter than afterwards, could be the LP mother of pearl
inlays.
What is obvious though is the sudden change of Beck's guitar strap from left
to right shoulder, for no apparent reason. The amplifier had started playing
up not even a second before. Beck may be a fast guitar player, but not
*that* fast!
Even though the "decibels went up dramatically" with Beck's arrival in the
band, the acoustic sounds of guitar demolition aren't drowned out by the
band amplification in the movie.
Bill Bugge
2003-09-18 23:12:44 UTC
"The Pink Panther Theme" by Henry Mancini from what else.
Bill
bill
2003-09-19 02:03:02 UTC
Post by Cathy Parker
I cannot think separate Sound of Silence from the Graduate.
I always associate that song with the launch of Apollo 11 because
it was played on television with the launch back in 1969 when I was a child.
I've never come across any other mention of this and I wonder if
anyone else has this memory.
This was in Australia, Channel 9 was in the Guinness Book of Records for
the longest continuous broadcast of the moon mission once.

jj
radio gives me the creeps.
Richard
2003-09-19 03:13:29 UTC
Post by bill
Post by Cathy Parker
I cannot think separate Sound of Silence from the Graduate.
I always associate that song with the launch of Apollo 11 because
it was played on television with the launch back in 1969 when I was a child.
I've never come across any other mention of this and I wonder if
anyone else has this memory.
This was in Australia,
In Canada, the music typically used to open the moon landing
broadcasts was from Richard Strauss' "Also sprach Zarathustra",
which of course also figured prominently in "2001: A Space Odyssey".

Richard
Magpie13
2003-09-19 03:49:22 UTC
I'm singin' in the rain! <WHAM>....

Marq

BTW anyone else associate the opening of 'Jackie Brown' with 'The Graduate'?
Was it an 'homage' or just similar?
Richard
GBlueOwl
2003-09-19 04:07:24 UTC
Post by Magpie13
'm singin' in the rain! <WHAM>....
Marq
BTW anyone else associate the opening of 'Jackie Brown' with 'The Graduate'?
Was it an 'homage' or just similar?
Very definitely an 'homage'. Tarrantino never does anything that is just
coincidentally similar to a scene in an earlier classic or cult movie, and if
you ever miss the "clever" reference, he'll be sure to point it out to you in
an interview or DVD voice-over commentary.

Brian
Mike Mooney
2003-09-19 07:49:27 UTC
Post by Richard
Post by bill
Post by Cathy Parker
I cannot think separate Sound of Silence from the Graduate.
I always associate that song with the launch of Apollo 11 because
it was played on television with the launch back in 1969 when I was a child.
I've never come across any other mention of this and I wonder if
anyone else has this memory.
This was in Australia,
In Canada, the music typically used to open the moon landing
broadcasts was from Richard Strauss' "Also sprach Zarathustra",
which of course also figured prominently in "2001: A Space Odyssey".
As it was here in the UK - makes a lot of sense. But "Sounds Of Silence"
sure doesn't - why on earth (npi) did they choose that one? I guess space is
dark ("hello darkness my old friend") and silent, but it's a stretch.

Mike M
Montauk6
2003-09-20 21:52:37 UTC
I'll always associate "Manhattan Serenade," "I Have But One Heart," and
"Have Yourself A Merry Christmas" with The Godfather.

"Amen" - Lillies of the Fields

"Little Green Bag" - Reservoir Dogs

"Rags to Riches," "Monkey Man," "What Is Life" - Goodfellas

Devo's cover of "Satisfaction" - Casino

"I Burn For You" - Brimstone & Treacle

"Summer Madness" - Rocky

"Across 110th Street" - oddly enough, Jackie Brown more than the original
Across 110th Street with Anthony Quinn

"Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get" - Wattstax

"Be My Baby" - Mean Streets

Intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana - Raging Bull

"The Man That Got Away" - A Star Is Born

"Peaches" - Sexy Beast
GBlueOwl
2003-09-20 22:45:18 UTC
Post by Montauk6
"Rags to Riches," "Monkey Man," "What Is Life" - Goodfellas
"Monkey Man" and "What Is Life" had enough of an independent identity (or
whatever) to me to avoid becoming forever linked to that film in my mind, but
definitely Tony Bennet's "Rags To Riches", and also Harry Nillson's "Jump Into
The Fire" and especially Donnovan's "Atlantis" will always be inseperately
linked to that film for me. In the case of "Atlantis", it's strange how the
sheer incongriguity of that song in that scene has since made that sickeningly
dippy number somehow seem cool to me.
Post by Montauk6
Devo's cover of "Satisfaction" - Casino
Definitely, along with The Jeff Beck Group's "I Ain't Superstitious" and
especially the Stones' "Can't You Hear Me Knocking", the later of which is
particularly memorable because Scorsese manages to effectively use the entire,
unedited, 7+ minutes long track in one stretch of the film, encompasing both
"montage" type segments with voice over narration and several proper scenes
with dialog.

Brian
Peter Morris
2003-09-21 01:04:04 UTC
Which song is that? what part of the film?
Blue
2003-09-25 03:42:54 UTC
Post by Cathy Parker
I cannot think separate Sound of Silence from the Graduate.
Same goes for Everybody's Balkin and Midnight Cowboy.
And, the ear cutting song and Reservoir Dogs. Hearing that song on the
radio gives me the creeps.
"The High and The Mighty", from the movie ( John Wayne airplane
flick ) of the same name, I can whistle it now, hard to believe it
hasn't been mentioned. Blue
Vince Macek
2003-09-26 12:12:38 UTC
Post by Blue
Post by Cathy Parker
I cannot think separate Sound of Silence from the Graduate.
Same goes for Everybody's Balkin and Midnight Cowboy.
And, the ear cutting song and Reservoir Dogs. Hearing that song on the
radio gives me the creeps.
"The High and The Mighty", from the movie ( John Wayne airplane
flick ) of the same name, I can whistle it now, hard to believe it
hasn't been mentioned. Blue
Speaking of whistling, someone must've mentioned the 'Colonel Bogey March', right?

VMacek
MACFARB
2003-09-28 08:53:53 UTC
Post by Vince Macek
Speaking of whistling, someone must've mentioned the 'Colonel Bogey March', right?
VMacek
They whistled "Col.Bogey" because they couldn't get away with singing the
bawdy lyrics in a 1957 film . "Hitler...... has
only got one ball The other........ is in the Albert Hall.
Himmler ........has somewhat similar And
Goebbels......... has no balls....... at all"
Brett A. Pasternack
2003-09-28 19:17:51 UTC
Post by MACFARB
Post by Vince Macek
Speaking of whistling, someone must've mentioned the 'Colonel Bogey March', right?
VMacek
They whistled "Col.Bogey" because they couldn't get away with singing the
bawdy lyrics in a 1957 film . "Hitler...... has
only got one ball The other........ is in the Albert Hall.
Himmler ........has somewhat similar And
Goebbels......... has no balls....... at all"
Funny, I heard it as:

Comet, it gets your kitchen clean!
Comet, it tastes like gasoline!
Comet,
It makes you vomit,
So get some Comet,
And vomit,
Today!
Don L
hasn't been mentioned. Blue
Mike Girouard
2003-09-26 09:57:32 UTC
Post by Cathy Parker
I cannot think separate Sound of Silence from the Graduate.
Same goes for Everybody's Balkin and Midnight Cowboy.
And, the ear cutting song and Reservoir Dogs. Hearing that song on the
radio gives me the creeps.
Actually, a distinction should have been made here:

songs written specifically for films which later stood by themselves
as popular songs (Lara's Theme, A Summer Place, More, To Sir With
Love)

songs written as popular music which were later incorporated into
films and probably enjoyed a resurgence of popularity because of it
(Back In The Middle, etc.)

We talking about both here?

FoggyTown
larry legallo
2003-09-27 03:42:12 UTC
Post by Cathy Parker
I cannot think separate Sound of Silence from the Graduate.
Same goes for Everybody's Balkin and Midnight Cowboy.
I think Dylan wrote "Lay Lady Lay" to be used in that film, but he
didn't finish it in time, so Schlesinger went with the Nilsson song.
Post by Cathy Parker
And, the ear cutting song and Reservoir Dogs. Hearing that song on the
radio gives me the creeps.
I'll put a vote in for the Leonard Cohen songs in McCabe & Mrs. Miller